That We May Truly Live

“If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it." (Mark 8:34-35, NRSV)

Throughout Lent, we reflected on the seven last words of Jesus on the cross and learned five things God may be calling us to give up in order to truly live.

To give up anger and bitterness and grow in forgiveness.

To give up judgment and grow in grace and acceptance.

To give up apathy and indifference and grow in compassion.

To give up pride and grow in humility.

To give up control and grow in faith and trust.

There are other things we need to give up. But to "die to ourselves" so that we may truly live - that is our call. As Richard Rohr said: "We need to deeply trust and allow both our own dyings and our own certain resurrections, just as Jesus did! This is the full pattern of transformation."

This week, as we dine with Jesus at the table, struggle with him in Gethsemane, stand with him at his trial, and walk the way of the cross with him, I hope we would really take time to reflect and confront the question: "What is it that needs to die in me- in the way I think, the way I act, the way I do things- so that I may truly live?"

May your week be truly holy.

Your fellow disciple,
Carlo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Papa and Mama: A "Coming Out" Letter

Blue Christmas Run... for those in the dark

Making the Road By Walking